In the past, people only cleaned their carpets when it was visibly soiled. The misconception was that they needed to wait as long as possible because cleaning caused them to soil quicker. The source of this misconception was that when wall to wall carpet first became popular, there were very limited ways to do them. the most common method was to brush soaps made of coconut oil into the carpet and let it dry. This method left a sticky oil that attracted residue, and has not been used in the industry in years.
Lets take a few minutes to discuss the three basic reasons why you should clean your carpets and upholstery on a regular basis.
1. Health is the largest reason that everyone should have their carpets cleaned regularly. Dr. Michael Berry, deputy director for the National Center for Environmental Assessment, US Environmental Protection Agency, in his book, Cleaning for Health, Protecting the Built Environment, points out these seven things that deal with maintaining the indoor environment.
1. Carpet acts like a filter in the indoor environment by trapping soils, gases, and human or animal dander.
2. Excess build up of soils in carpet may have and adverse reaction on the indoor environment.
3. Soils, volatile organic compounds (VOC) and biopollutants be remove to maintain a healthy indoor environment.
4. Maximize the extraction of pollutants from the building envelope.
5. Minimize chemical, particle, and moister residue.
6. Minimize human exposure to pollutants.
7. Properly dispose of cleaning wastes.
Studies have shown that Hot water extraction is the best method of removing not only everyday soils and pollutants, but also greatly reduce the number of biopollutants in carpet and upholstery, not only because of the high heat, but because of the fact that pollutants are removed from the home to the truck and then safely and environmentally responsibly disposed of. The bottom line is that carpet needs to be cleaned when it is biologically soiled, and should not be delayed until it’s surface is soiled.
2. Asset management is a concern that most people don’t consider when having their carpets cleaned. What I mean is that carpet, on average, is a home owners third largest investment. With the average price for carpet being around $24.00 per yard, the average home has several thousand dollars in carpeting alone. Routine cleaning is recommended by the carpet manufacturers to not only maintain appearance, but to also promote a long life for the carpet. Soiling is the number one enemy and destroyer of carpets. The average piece of sand has around 25 cutting edges on it that work to degrade carpet every time it is exposed to traffic. Modern carpets are designed to hide oiling, so that by the time a carpet appears soiled on the surface, it may already be to late to reverse some of the damage.
3. Appearance cleaning is third, and unfortunately, the biggest reason that most people clean their carpets and upholstery, While dirty carpets are an embarrassing eyesore, I hope that in the above sections you have learned that cleaning only for the appearance of the carpet is not the only reason to have your carpets cleaned regularly. With the above stated facts about how modern carpets hide soils, I would also like to point out a few more facts for you. The more soiled a carpet is, the more harsh of detergents are needed to clean them. These more powerful solutions can impair the stain repellence of newer generation carpets with any kind of stain guard on them. Also some spots and spills that are on carpet may permanently damage the carpet and become permanent stains if not removed as soon as possible.